9 Ideas To Make Your Home More Welcoming And Efficient
9 Ideas To Make Your Home More Welcoming And Efficient
The Warm and Cozy Home
No chimney? No problem! An eco-friendly, ventless gel fireplace, like this custom model, provides roaring flames without the smoke of a traditional wood fireplace. Image:HearthCabinet Ventless Fireplaces
The dark days of winter can really do a number on your well-being. Shorter days trigger the blahs; freezing temps spark the sniffles. So we put together a list of ideas that’ll turn your home into a comfy haven.
Cozy and Clever Energy Savers
Here’s how to create a brighter and warmer home without using more energy or cranking up the thermostat.
2. Seal sneaky air leaks.It’s not just window and door leaks killing your cozy vibe. Don’t forget to plugstealthy gapsaround recessed lights, electrical boxes, and wall outlets. Use a lit incense stick or scented candle to hunt down drafty spots while leaving behind a cozy scent.
3. Replace your traditional gas or wood fireplace.Why? Both suck out heated indoor air and send it up the chimney. A gel fireplace insert is an eco-friendly option that produces a burning fire without gas, wood, electricity, or even a chimney. It’s also smoke-free and emits fewer allergens than a wood fireplace; some options crackle like the real thing. A basic model costs between $100 to $210; custom models go up exponentially from there. A case of gel fuel comes with 12 cans that burn for three hours each (about $35).
Tip:Use a slow cooker to infuse your home with a warm and cozy aroma. Even better, slow cookers are more energy efficient than electric ovens, typically using less energy than a light bulb.
You’ll feel coziest in a healthy indoor environment that keeps allergies at bay and reduces your chances of getting sick.
4. Get plants.Someindoor plants, like golden pothos and gerbera daisies, are particularly adept at sucking up nasty VOCs — the vapors emitted from household cleaners, paints, and dry cleaning. And since plants increase humidity levels, they help decrease household dust.
5. Vacuum while your thermostat is set to “fan on.”This helps filter dust that gets kicked-up while cleaning. Just leave the fan on for about 15 minutes after you finish vacuuming and switch it back to “auto” afterward. HVAC blowers aren’t intended to run all the time.
Tip:Combat superbugs with copper. If you’re planning to upgrade your kitchen or bathroom fixtures, consider classic and homey-looking copper or a copper alloy like brass. A three-hospital study in 2011 found that bacteria can only survive on copper for a few minutes, but germs can live on stainless steel for weeks.
Lack of natural light can trigger a mean case of the winter doldrums — or worse, mood-altering seasonal affective disorder. Maximize daylight and make rooms feel warmer by adding the following to your yearlyfall maintenance checklist.
7. Make your windows pane-fully clear.Clean glass not only lets more natural light into your home, it’s a feel-good task, according to a survey by the American Clean Institute. When ACI asked consumers what clean surfaces make them happy, “gleaming windows” made the top five above a “spotless sink.”
8. Ditch your window screens in the fall and winter.They trap dirt and can make your home appear darker inside and out. It’s a good curb appeal booster, too.
Tip:Paint chilly rooms, especially north-facing walls that don’t typically get sunlight, in reds, oranges, or yellows—cozy colors that can actually help the room feel warmer, according to a Michigan State University study.
Good Day To You, my name is Tanjy Thomas and I'm a licensed Realtor with EXIT Trinity Realty, servicing Columbus and surrounding areas.
I am available to help you with all your real estate needs. Give me a call today, I look forward to meeting you.
Author:Tanjy Thomas Phone: 614-893-2443 Dated: November 3rd 2015 Views: 229 About Tanjy: Buying or selling your home is a big decision I'm here to help your dreams come true. I truly enjoy ...
Serving more than 50 of the 100 largest metro areas in the United States, independent sales associates affiliated with NRT distinguish themselves every day by creating exceptional real estate experiences for their customers and their communities. But don’t just take our word for it. In 2015, REAL Trends ranked NRT as the #1 Residential Real Estate Brokerage Company for an unprecedented 18th consecutive year. It’s an honor we’ve achieved by focusing on exceptional customer service and consistently putting our clients’ evolving real estate needs first.
Whether you measure our performance in terms of size, sales volume or number of transactions, the leadership of the companies and sales associates represented by ColdwellBankerHomes.com is driving innovation and delivering value to homebuyers and sellers. As a result, NRT’s growing presence includes more than 44,000 affiliated sales associates and 4,900 employees in 727 offices, all ready to serve you.
Looking to buy a home in Whitehall? Check out this amazing deal!The Ci
"Client Feedback on Tracy Seabrooks
How fast did your agent respond to your questions: 5 out of 5
Services used: Both
How did you find us: Radio/TV/Billboard
Your most memorable moment:The most memorable moment with Tracy was the day we first met her. She has always been been very honest and cared so much about what we wanted and needed even with all my needs with my oxygen. She has gone 100% to please us with what we were looking for. I will recommend Tracy to anyone that needs to buy or sell a home .
The moment you'd rather forget? There isn't anything I would want to forget about Tracy.
Testimonial: Tracy is a wonderful person who really cares about her clients and their wants and needs. She makes your needs her top priority, and always tries to keep you as to what is going on with things. My name is Patricia Foster .
Referral:Not at the moment but when I do you will be the first to know !!!!!!